OP1/AfSU/2 Subject Tutor (Type V)
Subject Tutors (ST) are responsible for assisting students who contact AfSU for help and assist them using the subject team they have been allocated to. The ST usually performs the following roles, but is not limited to:
- (a) assisting in the running and maintenance of the AfSU Tuition Centre by tutoring students, in an in-person setting, in groups of 3-5 students;
- (b) assisting the Senior Subject Tutor for their group and helping students on a day-to-day basis with what they need (this may involve UCAS Help (interviews, personal statement reviews and the like));
- (c) holding events or being involved in academic conferences;
- (d) reports to the Director of Tuition Operations.
We recommend STs have the following skill sets:
- Strong sense of belonging and working with a team.
- Keen on gaining experience and knowledge of hosting events with large groups of people (usually 100+). Happy to invest time into making AfSU events successful whilst maintaining a balanced amount of work and sharing this amongst the team you are assigned to.
- Happy to work with younger students who require help with their academic lives. Able to dedicate time to this and assist people to the best of their ability.
- Flexible with their time.
- Able to communicate on and use Teams/Word/Excel.
- You should be willing to attend Team AfSU events and participate in the union's activities to the best of your ability. You should also demonstrate professionalism and take initiative. We encourage confidence in suggesting new ideas and concepts.
AfSU requires the following from all applicants:
- A Disclosure and Barring Check (Enhanced) - valid for the entirety of your time as a tutor for AfSU, this can be provided to you by AfSU should you not have one already.
- A valid UK Passport or equivalent allowing you to work in the United Kingdom.
- You must not have a criminal record.
- If you are accepted, you will be required to attend mandatory subject tutor trainings (4 trainings per academic year) to ensure the highest level of quality in the tuition services AfSU provides.
- Safeguarding forms an intrinsic part of our organisation. You must be willing to read the KCSIE 2023 Part One statutory guidance on keeping children safe in education as well as attend/pass safeguarding trainings (online and in-house).
- You will be expected to abide by the AfSU Constitution and various other policies which you will be acquainted with should your application be accepted. We take discipline extremely seriously and so you will be expected to conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times and especially as a representative of the AfSU brand.
The ST is a voluntary, unpaid position however AfSU can be used as a reference point on CVs/LinkedIn. Joining AfSU also means you have access to internship and other academic opportunities unique to AfSU. You'll also be joining a community of like minded people who have similar goals and interests to yourself.